Tuesday, 7 June 2011

Day 2 - Drymen to Rowardennan 15 miles.






Slept last night in a contraceptive bed - you know the ones. They squeak and make a lot of noise when you move. Good job I was on my own! you certainly wouldn't get up to any mischief - the whole village would know!
Had my first taste of haggis for about 20 yrs. Was quite nice, and I can assure they it was freshly caught!
Was dry when I set off, but rained after 15 mins and didn't stop until ten mins to go hotel for tonight! Typical.
Walked to first climb of the walk. Conic Hill. 1184 feet. Which isn't very high, but in pouring rain, wind and very low clouds, it takes some doing! Took 3 hours to walk 4 miles!!! Why didn't I take the shortcut?
But I found out that a) my boots don't leak. b) my waterproofs are very good and c) my compass works! yes I lost my bearings when the clouds came down. A bit scary. Was sheer climb and of course sheer descent! A walker was killed 2 weeks ago in the strong winds (I didn't tell my family that! sorry - but think you may have said something)
Some strange people on this walk too (myself not included) - some friendly - some, well I will not comment!!
After the descent and some picture taking of Loch Lomond, I walked along side the Loch for ages. Some climbing here and there, but nothing as bad as the morning.
Saw a deer too and managed to get its photo. Soon scarpered tho - must have heard the sloshing of the water on my body!
It's not much fun walking in the rain, and didn't manage to sit down and eat my lunch either, which doesn't help the aching muscles. Still, I arrived at the hotel, which is on the side of the Loch, next to some lovely log cabins. Just had a lovely meal too.
Now trying to dry out all my gear - tho don't know why - rain forecast for tomorrow too! Just tried to upload pictures, but signal not strong enough. Will do as soon as I can

No comments:

Post a Comment