This is the start of the Great Glen Way. Left Fort William just before nine, and had a quick look round the starting area. Was actually waiting for someone to take my picture at the start, but had to make it look as if I wasn't just loitering with intent! Or even just loitering! This is an easy stroll today, all flat - not a hill to climb!
Walked along the river bank after leaving the shore, and strolled in the sunshine (don't tell anyone but this was the third day in a row without much rain!) Couldn't see much of the river as it is lined with Alder trees. Walked on till I came to the Soldiers Bridge, don't know why, there is no explanations as I can find, though it is near Inverlochy Castle, which I didn't detour to.
From there, walked through a pretty little place called Caol - pronounced Cool!
Walked on the shore of Loch Linhe, where a few Sunday risers were up and playing on the beach with their dogs, Kara would love it here! This led to the embankment of the Caledonian Ship Canal and to another pretty little village of Corpach. As I had time to spare today, I had a look around, stocked up with a couple of supplies in the shop there and went back to the Canal. Followed the towpath for about a mile before coming to Banavie Swing Bridge.
This is the start of Neptune's staircase. This is 8 tightly packed locks rising up. Apparently it takes cruisers 90 minutes to get through these, on an easy day!
Was fascinating to watch. There was only a couple of boats using them, but got to see how it works! From there, all there is to walk is the canal bank for about 7 miles, but the weather was nice. A couple of girls passed, and chatted to them for a while, but they were speed merchants. Just intent on getting to the next place. Not really looking at anything, just walking. I strolled and sat down whenever I felt like it. A lot of dogwalkers were about and quite a few cyclists too. So passed the odd comments with them.
I had just found a nice bench for lunch, when this guy asked could he sit with me!
Asked him where he was walking to, not everyone stays at the same spot, and he was telling me he was walking from Lands End to John O'Groats. He had started on the 1st April and expected to finish by end June. Said he was camping, but his wife was the back up and she would drop him off where he had finished the previous day, and then drive to the finish for that day day and erect the tent, then meet him.
Don't know who had the hardest bit. Him or her.
Anyway, he left soon and I just carried on in my own strolling way. I actually got to my destination quite early - you just get used to walking long distances, so when a short day comes along you have done just after lunch.
Anyway, walked to the B & B, now some places don't want you in till after 4, so I thought if I could just leave my bag, then I would pass the time somehow. But she was lovely and invited me in straight away, made me a cup of tea and sate in the garden with me chatting, while her husband was painting the outside of the house.
We went inside and the house was beautiful, she told me to make myself at home and then showed me my room. What a room! I had an enormous bed and a double aspect. I could see hills from the side and farm fields, and ahead if I sat on the bed I had a magnificent view of the north side of Ben Nevis, still with snow on the top. What a sight. Took pictures, so will post when I can.
Anyway I was staying there for my tea, the nearest pub was 3 miles away. I wasn't going to walk that far just to have a drink and meal when I had the chance to stay there. I had a long hot shower and read my book for the afternoon in my lovely room. Tea was lovely, Coq au Vin, and it was nice to sit and chat with them afterwards. The other two ladies who were staying there, went out. They weren't very chatty, so it's perhaps as well they did!
Went up to my room later, but was told I could take any dvd I wanted. Declined, and went to bed early to finish my book. There was hardly any signal - and that is the only fault I could find, but was it a fault, when I could just sit and relax!
No comments:
Post a Comment