Monday, 6 June 2011

Day One - Mulngavie to Drymen 12 miles






Its been a lovely day for walking. nice breeze, odd sunshine and odd cloud cover. No rain - that's forecast for later in the week - and I am heading for the high hills, so expect to get wet!!
I was very good today, passed a whiskey distillery. Yes that's right walked passed it!!
Didn't think I would finish the day if I called in there after only 6 miles walked.
Met some nice people already, tho there is a language barrier. My broad Lancashire and their quick Scottish talking. Just hope I nod in the right places sometimes.
There was a lot of damage done the other week when they had the very strong winds, and a lot of trees are down along the paths, in fact we have a slight detour in the morning to avoid a blackspot.
Caught my first glimpse of Loch Lomond earlier - that will be my companion for a few days.
Passed a high ridge too. The map said watch out for buzzards! I hope I didn't look that shattered already! Gosh I've only just started! Perhaps they hang around for those who do the walk in reverse. They would live for a long time off the meat on my body! lol
Walk was nice through lots of woods today before opening up to the hills. I've taken some photos but will probably have to upload these when I get a better signal. It takes ages with a dongle.
When I arrived in Drymen, I had a quick look round, it was quick cos all there is is 4 pubs, one library and one butchers, and if you want to go mad you can walk ten mins to the local Spa shop! I was good again at this point cos when I arrived I sat in the sunshine on the village green with the pubs behind me. I will tho, go and test their drink in a short while. How rude it would be if I didn't support the hostelry trade!
Quick shower and change then out for something to eat.

1 comment:

  1. EEEH i bet its lovely up there good for the soul - i envie the experince and the views but not the sore feet - i bet the views are better than the speeding traffic outside my windows at work! x

    ReplyDelete