I have done it! I completed the walk from Glasgow to Inverness. 184 miles - give or take a few extra!
Anyway, back to the day. Was up nice and early this morning, and had breakfast and was ready to go by 7.45 am. So off I set. Walked along the main road for a while, which is a bit scary when all the cars are hurtling off to work! Carried on for a while then the path took a detour, sort of running parallel with the main road. For a while anyway!
Managed to take pictures of Urquart Castle, the one that always features in Scottish ads!
Up into a forest again! And there was another climb! My fault for not reading the info - which is probably as well. I didn't want a climb today. This was to be my last day of holiday and I wanted a nice gentle stroll for the 18 miles.
Managed to take pictures of Urquart Castle, the one that always features in Scottish ads!
Oh no! Not a chance. Upwards and upwards, climbing to 1640 feet. Good job I was early cos the legs didn't want to work at all. I was up so early, I could even smell the porridge that the three bears had eaten in the woods!
Anyway, I made it to the top. Another photo shoot!
Looked for the oxygen tent or beer top but couldn't find them. Funny they are never where you want them to be!
Started to descend. Good! Walked on for a while and came to a history lesson, all about how the Newfie (Newfoundland) lumberjacks came to fell the forests cos we hadn't enough men to do it during the war in 1941.
(Who says I don't pay attention when out walking!) Was interesting really.
Anyway, started to climb again! and came to a sign which said highest part of the Great Glen Walk. OK! No more now. I want to come down now, and gently please!
Came to Abriachan forest. Lots of walks here and really well looked after. After walking for a couple of miles came to an area which looked a great place to stay for kids. Tents, play ground, picnic tables, and lots of other nature stuff.
I encroached and had a sandwich there. Was lovely.
Carry on. Left the forest and followed a track for a short while, before hitting a B.road. You ever tried walking on road when you have been used to tracks. They are a killer. They make the souls of your feet hurt like hell.
And this road carried on for a good three miles, It was hard work, and not very enjoyable. Sat down twice along this road, just to rest the poor feet.
Had to carry on tho, which you know I did.
Came to Blackfold moor, where the grouse are nesting. Didn't see any tho, as the heather is quite thick. This is quite a nice area, but didn't last that long.
Another wooded area now. quite thick and dark. Looked for all the characters you hear about in stories, but never saw any of them. You know, Hansel and Gretel, the 3 bears etc. Something tells me they don't really exist, or perhaps I was in the wrong woods!
These woods carried on for a good mile and then thinned out to a forest track which went on and on and on!
Didn't see anyone at all on today's walk, but I was up well before the rest of them - and some B & B's are sticklers for what time they serve breakfast!
Back to the walk. Like I said it went on forever, but eventually came to the end of the forest. Wow! Could see Inverness in the distance! Not long to go now!
Carried on, not along a direct path others have used, but stuck to the official Great Glen Path. They just wanted to make us walk a bit further! Sign ahead!
'Four miles to Inverness Castle!' What? I felt like I had done 16 already, but then I told you that I don't think they know how to measure miles!
Ok, I'll do as I am told - that's a first!
At this point you feel elated and sad at the same time. Glad you have done it, but sad 'cos it's the end! Slowly descended, and I mean slowly. The path meandered down. I should have cheated and followed the obvious tell tale signs that others have cheated! Me cheat? No. I will do the full walk.
Got to the edge of town and it said 2 miles to go, wow. can do this in no time!
Huh, it's the longest 2 miles I have ever walked. Feel like going back and measuring it - but I won't - but I think they have it all wrong. They just wanted us to see the sights of Inverness! We passed the floral gardens, the floral hall, the gold course, the new fitness stadium, the river and then walked through a lovely park, which looks as though it's lit at night! Does that sound like 2 miles to you? They must have been on the whiskey when they measured it!
Eventually - the end was in sight - also was the prison van at the castle!
What had they been told about me? lol
The sign was there, as were 40 or so old age pensioners on an outing!
I waited patiently (hurry up) did they not know what I had just done?
Ok, off they went. Photo shoot. Asked one old guy to take my photo, but he missed half of what I wanted him to shoot, so I asked a nice American couple who were passing by. Thanks folks.Need to pic to prove I have been walking, and not just on a coach tour of the Highlands.
Pictures done. Across the road now for a well earned pint or two, or three........
Was a good walk. Enjoyed most of it. Put up with the bits I didn't like.
Now, what can I do next?..............
ps Any bad spelling or grammar is down to the fact that I have quite a bit to drink!!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment