Thursday, 16 June 2011

Day 9 - Laggan to Invermoriston - 18 + 2 miles






I didn’t like the B & B I was at at all last night. It stunk of smoke, even tho it clearly said no smoking! It wasn’t really clean either. Surface clean, if you know what I mean. I did look at the other places near by, and was willing to book into one of those, but they were all full!
And to top it off, one of the guys in the room above snored for kingdom come!
Ok, moans over. (for now). On with the day. I had a long day today 18 miles to do and I had a ot to see ‘cos I had read the walk guide. So off I went, leaving the girls behind. They had a short day so I knew I could muster up some pace. (so I kept telling myself anyway).
Leaving Laggan, the walk went through a lovely flat forest bit and came upon what used to be the old railway in 1790 something or other. The station platform was there and you could tell the track was the old line used to be, and there were pictures on a board to show you how it was. A bit Railway childrenish – if you’ve seen the film.
Onwards through a nature reserve – not the kind you are thinking – the wildlife one. Not a naturist park.
I would have cleared it if I had gone through one of those!) And from there, I followed the banks of Loch Oich. Only four miles in length this one, a mere baby! Passed an old suspension bridge and then carried on up the banks of the Caledonian Canal again. Which was a lovely walk, the weather was glorious. Walked through a couple of locks until I came to Fort Augustus.
What a beautiful place, steeped in history about Highland Clans, and it even has it’s own series of locks for the boats. It was quite a bustling place, with lots of touristy things to do. This was one of the places that I wanted to to explore, so I did. Well I am supposed to be on holiday. So I had a good look around, bought myself some new earriings too, ‘cos one of mine is lying somwhere on the Highland hills, and I am not going back to look for it.
Lunchtime! Sat outside a pleasant little pub and had a bowl of soup and a soft drink. Well I still had a further 9 miles to do that afternon.
Set off reluctantly, would have been nice to have finished there for the day. I had to get to Invermoriston. Off I went, this time I had a climb, and I mean a climb. Up and meandering through woodlands, then down again, and then up and up. This part of the walk gets a bit boring, because all you see are trees, the odd glimpse of Loch Ness and a wide forest track to follow, which isn’t so good on the feet. Did manage a couple of pictures of the Loch (under instructions from Libby to get a picture of the Loch Ness Monster!)
Anyway, I didn’t really enjoy this part of the walk and was looking forward to the end. Met this chap walking towards me, I thought he was into house removals with the amount of luggage he had on his back, never mind hiking! He asked me how far to Fort Augustus and I told him a couple of hours walk. Asked him the question – out of politeness cos that’s al walkers ask of each other – ‘How far to Invermoriston?’ He said three and half hours. What ! I had been walking two like I said. I assumed he meant three and half miles, so wished him well and off I went. And went and went and went. Was an endless boring path like I said before. Then, wait for it, found my sign! Diversion!!!!! Fallen trees from couple of weeks prior. Rangers had closed the path!. Oh no. I was tired by then, and I had promised my legs it was only 18 miles. How much further would they have to go. My feet felt like they were on fire too! Was the old man right when he meant the time.
Ok I would have to do it, cos I was tired, I was aching and I was starving, cos by then I had eaten my supplies, mainly out of boredom I think on this part. I walked on. It seemed forever! It was forever!
I walked a mile and came to a small tent. Should I move in and claim squatters rights? I certainly felt like it. My legs and feet didn’t want to do anymore! But I was starving, and stinky and needed clean clothes and a shower! Plod on! Pu t one foot in front of the other and don’t think of it!
That detour was a further TWO MILES!!!! Sorry feet. Sorry legs. Will rest them as soon as I can.
Why is it the last bit always takes the longest?
Eventually I could see my goal. Keep going! I arrived at my B & B and struggled to get up the stairs.
Think I stood in the shower for ages, just letting the water ease my feet and legs. That was the worst day with walking. Still no blisters tho, so must have good socks and boots. Actually surprised my boots haven’t up and walked off on their own by now anyway, with the way they smell!
Had a lovely meal in the Invermoriston Hotel, and a couple of pints. Reckoned I had earned it. Hobbled back to the B & B, which was miles away – well no, actually it was right next door. Just felt miles away!
Collapsed into bed and let my legs and feet shout at me!

No comments:

Post a Comment