Monday, 13 June 2011

Day 8 - Gairlochy to South Laggan - 12 miles






Had a lovely breakfast, after possibly the best nights sleep yet - or was that just collapsing with exhaustion?
Left the beautiful house and walked back to the Walk. Here there is a swing bridge, which allows the farmer access to his fields, so a man is employed to sit there and manually work the bridge. He opens one side then has to use his dinghy to open the other side! what a job!
Anyway, this is supposed to be another quiet day but it is wet and horrible. You can't see much in front of you. I decided that, rather than just plod on along the walk, I would take a detour and visit the Cameron museum - about a mile off the the route.Off I trudged, found it ok - shut!!! Not open till the afternoon! Now what?
Walked a little further and came to a little hamlet called Clunes. A couple of houses, and a log cabin the size of a house garage for a school. Think there were about 5 kids there, unless they were hiding.
Anyway it was cute really.
Signs showed the road led to a waterfall. That would do. I would go and see that. found it no problem after about half an hour walking. Was a lovely place, and apparently was used to film Rob Roy with Liam Neilson. Will have to check that out. The fall goes into a large pool, called The Witches Pool! Some mad woman was thrown down there for something or other and died, so they named it after her!
Think I had better keep moving......
Had to cut through a forest to get back to the route, but I'm glad I did.
Now don't think at this stage I have gone off my rocker or that I am hallucinating - and no I am not drunk - but there along the path was a fairy glen. Little fairies in the trees, toadstool with fairies underneath. Further along the path was a large circular fence about 5 foot high filled with an opening. When you go through it is filled with soft cuddly toys and dolls.
The trail goes on for a while, with different little places. Then there is a little spot that has another toadstool and a large box thats says visitors book.
Well I had to have a look didn't I? It is called the Fairy Glen (surprisingly) and people sign the book and leave comments, and there is a little tub for people to put donations in. All the money they collect is given to children's charities. So of course, I obliged.
Bet you are thinking she has blown it. First witches pools and now fairies! lol.
I'm not mad honest (no comments from anyone please)
Back to the walk. Got back on the route, to find the dullest and longest 7 mile stretch of forest path that you can imagine. It seemed to go on forever, it was still raining and miserable. plod on and keep going. And keep going I did. Met up with a couple of nice girls who are staying at the same place tonight, and we are going for a meal together later.
Eventually we came to Laggan Lock, which is ok, but nothing spectacular. But just on the lock is a large barge, which is a restaurant,come cafe, come bar! Needless to say, we had to inspect it. It is really quirky, with a mad funny guy and his wife running it. You have to pre-book for a meal,otherwise we would have gone back there.
Don't know where we are eating as the lady of this B & B books you into the local place and takes you there as it is a distance off. Will be finding out soon what it is like.
Now this B & B is the total opposite of last night!!!
Talk about going back in time, think its still the sixties here! At least it has a bed - won't say much more on the subject - but I hate satin bedspreads!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment