Had a good meel in the bar at the hotel last night, and chatted to a couple of fellow walkers. We all moaned about the weather (we are British!)
Up nice and early - long day. so was breakfasted and at hotel reception ready to check out for 7.30 am. Asked the receptionist for my boots, which they were drying from the day before. She asked what colour, I said Blue! She couldn't find them! She directed me to the drying room - ha ha ok! Everyone's boots were a nice khaki colour of dried mud! Take your pick. If they are your size they must be yours!
Boots on, ready to go. Walked five mins and you've guessed it - more rain - with a vengeance and with wind! (The weather not me!)
It describes the walk as 7 miles of lovely scenery, pleasant paths and beautiful photos spots! They obviously walked in the sunshine, not the same walk as I was
doing!
Anyway, walked on until I came to Hotel Inversnaid. A beautiful spot with cruise ship and a lovely waterfall. Notice on door of hotel'walkers remove your boots and leave your kit at the at the door!' Ok, you don't want us dripping people walking through your posh hotel, but I needed a coffee. So undressing in the porch way is not easy - sitting in a nice bar having a lovely cup of coffee is. Was a lovely chance to remind myself that yes, I am on holiday, yes you are supposed to be enjoying it!
20 mins later and went to gather my stuff and wow! it had stopped raining. Quick get out there girl!
Packed away rain gear, off again. Six and half miles of woodland trail with warning that the first three miles are rocky with steep craggy slopes.
Rocky? I felt like a stupid mountain goat after a while. Climbing over rocks and fallen trees, fording the strong waters running down the hills (after all the rains). Then I came to the craggy bit. I think I just stood there for 5 mins before realising that going back wasn't an option. It was a 3 inch ledge for about a metre. Vertical rock on one side and deep cold Loch on the other - should I fall. My boot is wider than the ledge, my backpack weighed a ton. One false move and I was swimming!
Had to shout at myself to do it. Can't let any other walkers think I was a wimp.
You ever kissede a rockface? Not pleasant, but I can assure you, the alternative didn't look good either. My backpack would have taken me to the depths of the loch!
As you can now tell I did it! Thank goodness. Think I had jelly legs for a while with the shock.
Onwards and Upwards!
My boot is wider than the ledge, my backpack
No comments:
Post a Comment